Friday, December 31, 2010

Resolutions

I think I have skipped this post for a couple years. After the year I've had I feel that it's fitting to write down some resolutions. I have come to the conclusion that I'm the only one who can control my destiny. I'm tired of just being in the back seat of my own life and letting others dictate what's happening in my life. Here are some of my resolutions for the upcoming year:
  • Take the G.RE and decide on a PhD program, possibly begin my program this fall. It has always been my dream to get my Ph.D and pursue a career in higher education teaching college. I am going to study, take and hopefully score well on my G.RE this year. I have begun researching what field I would like to get my Ph.D in but I need to finalize my decision and start the process to apply.
  • Leave work at 4pm at least 3 days per week so that I can get home at a reasonable hour and spend time with my family. I work far too hard too hard for how much they value me at work so I need to make it a priority to get as much done throughout the day as I can so I can leave work at 4pm and not waste time there.
  • Have a sit down family dinner at least 6 nights per week. This is extremely important to me because I know it's so very important to having a healthy family that communicates and shares their days with each other.
  • Cook dinner 3-4 times per week leaving the rest of the nights to my wonderful husband. I love to cook and with everything going on this past year the job of cooking has flown out the window and it makes me sad because I love it and lately it's seemed more like a chore. I want to get that love of cooking back this year!
  • Reduce my credit card debt by 50% this year. I will have to online tutor at night and sell things that are unnecessary to daily life but I'm going to vow to find a way to reduce my debt this year!
  • Run and workout at least 5 days per week. Even if it's just a walk around the neighborhood I want to stay active to help reduce stress and improve my health.
  • Find a new job by the end of 2011. I want to find a position that will value my talent and be happy that I'm a part of their workplace.
  • Read at least 24 books this year. I am part of a book club but I really need to carve out time to read each day so that I can meet this goal.
  • Run a full marathon. I'm thinking the Charle.voix marathon since I ran the 1/2 last year and it was awesome.
I know this is very lofty but I need to set my goals high and work to achieve something big and bold this year because 2010 was not my favorite! Yay, for a new year!

1 comment:

Tara said...

Wow, those are ambitious! :) Ambitious but great. That's exciting about the potential PhD!!