Tuesday, December 14, 2010

What If?

Life's a Beach gave me the idea for this blog post after reading her post today about one of her ex's. My story is similar in some respects but a little different. I started dating this guy in college and when I say dating, I mean we went out on some dates, talked on the phone, and it was semi serious. Not so serious that we were taking each other home to meet mom and dad but serious enough. He was 2 years younger than me. I was going into my internship year (5th year) and he was not even 21 yet. This guy was awesome though, super smart, charismatic, personable and treated me like gold. He was also unpredictable because he was still into the partying scene and drunk dialing.

I ended up meeting R and I kind of just stopped answering his drunk dials. He was also black and my parents don't have anything against blacks however, they didn't want me marrying a black guy. It was a hot topic between us and one I'm still a little bitter about. Society is more accepting of interracial marriages but there are still issues. I can honestly say that I don't mind and I'm totally accepting.

Long story short we started talking again back in 2007 by accident. He randomly instant messaged me by mistake, he was trying to talk to the person listed above me on A.O.L instan.t messen.ger. Turns out he's doing very well for himself and he's still a wonderful guy. The timing just wasn't right. I do think about the "what if." We're great friends and he's got a pretty serious girlfriend now and I anticipate him buying her a ring and proposing any day. I wish him all the luck. I got to see him for about 10 minutes this fall at a football game and it was great. I can't help but wonder.

No comments: