Saturday, January 08, 2011

More Progress and My Week

  • My career path is all over the place this week. We learned that our school that I currently work at may lose their busing services because currently we get our busing through the city where the school is located. They apparently are like 2 million in the whole and so they are looking at cutting busing to chart.er schools. This would cut our student population in 1/2 which means that our school would lose a ton of money and probably staff member jobs would be cut at some point. In addition to that craziness, the job I interviewed at before Chri.stmas just called me back yesterday and offered me the position. I hadn't heard from them so I just figured that it was not going to happen so that's weird. They won't budge on the pay so I think I'm going to turn it down because I can't take that huge of a pay cut. I've been thinking more about programs I could begin and R suggested maybe looking into MB.A. programs because they have great placement programs when you finish. I'm really tired of working with kids.
  • I left work Monday-Wednesday right at 4pm and it made this week so much more bearable because I did have time to recharge and I actually felt ready for the next day.
  • We had a sit down dinner 5 nights this week so that was HUGE progress! It's really hard when I have to work late or when R has a meeting. We are doing pretty well though!
  • I cooked 3 times so far this week and have plans to cook tonight so that has been awesome!!!!!!!
  • I didn't do so great on this this week. I only tutored one hour and then I forgot part of my time last night :( I also forgot to have R schedule tutor hours for me for next week :( This will be a work in progress and I hope to be able to continue to work hard on this over the next year!
  • I only worked out 3 times this week due to working late or R having meetings. I need to definitely carve out more time to work out and begin a workout plan.
  • I suppose I could have a new job by next week if I took this position I was offered but unfortunately I can't survive on even less money than I'm making now. I'm sure this is going to happen though because my school could in fact be laying people off.
  • I have time today set aside to read and I've read a little before bed a couple nights this week. I'm really hoping this book I am reading gets super interesting, super quick!
  • I worked on my training program and marked the date of the marathon on my calendar!
So in addition to everything that's been going on Little man had strep throat again this week and I had to take him back to the dr. He put him on a new medicine at my request so hopefully it takes care of it once and for all. In addition, he has a sleep study tonight at 9pm to see if his enlarged tonsils are affecting his sleep and if he needs to have them removed.

R and I sent a letter to a little cafe in town that is up for sale. We offered to take the cafe over for the woman and have a rent to own situation for awhile until we can buy it outright. It's a great little place and we both have a love for food and it's always been a dream to run our own restaurant. We were looking at that for our retirement but the opportunity arose sooner so we decided to jump on it! We'll see if anything comes out of it and I'll keep you posted.

I had a really bad end to the week at school yesterday so I'm so glad it's the weekend! I had two kids verbally fighting, screaming across the classroom. Another student throw a toy at another child, tip over a desk and throw a tub of books, another child have to be physically pulled out of my classroom by two staff members due to the fact that he wouldn't move and was blurting inappropriate comments, and another child get called to the office and yelled at about a cell phone and then sent back to class crying. This all happened in the first 15 minutes of my day from 8-8:15am.

1 comment:

Alison said...

What a cool opportunity with the cafe! S has always wanted to own his own business as well and I could totally see him trying to buy our local Coney if it ever went up for sale :)

Sorry you had such a rough day in your classroom - yikes!!! Hope you had a nice weekend though :)